Friday, February 27, 2009

Examples Of Stereotypes In Our Every Day Life

Monday- Feb. 23

1) Personal Conversation with Claire _____

Friends house. 10:30 PM

Conversation about marriage and relationships/ roles of the man and women in the relationship

Gender Stereotype

 

2) Television

E! 1:00 AM

The Girls Next Door

In interview, Kendra exaggerates and enforces the dumb promiscuous blonde

Gender stereotype

 

Tuesday- Feb. 24

1) Internet 12:30 PM

http://www.hollywoodcelebgossips.com/2009/02/03/miley-cyrus-racist-miley-cyrus-mocking-asian-photo/

Picture and discussion of Miley Cyrus’s offensive picture

Racial Assumption/stereotype

 

2) Billboard

I-35 Dallas, TX, 5:00 PM

“Ricks Cabaret Premiere Gentlemen’s Club”

Contained pictures that caused severe exploitation of women- limited clothing, provocative positions

Gender Stereotype


Wednesday- Feb. 25

1) MTV, 11:30 PM

Television

Singles Hotline Commercial-

Very inappropriate images of women, scantily dressed, with inappropriate sexual innuendos

Gender Stereotypes

 

2) Classroom Experience

Intro to Philosophy Wednesday’s 6:30-9:20

Classroom Experience Profess. Hussain

Class Discussion about students rights to bear arms on a college campus

Racial assumption/stereotypes


Thursday- Feb. 26

1) Personal Conversation with friend 3:45 PM

Starbucks on Boyd

Conversation about customers that come into her store

Racial assumptions/ stereotypes

 

2) Film, 10:30 PM

“Guess Who”  2005, (Bernie Mac, Ashton Kutcher)

Scene between Ashton’s character and his Boss- boss disapproves of his girlfriend just because of the color of her skin.

Racial assumption/stereotype

 

Friday- Feb. 27

1) Television

TBS, 11:00 AM

Home Improvement Episode

The “Man Episode” on Tool Time- Female assistant made to dress scantily and is made to do the cooking

Gender stereotype

 

2) Film 3:30 PM

Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay (2008)

Beginning scenes while in the airport- Directed towards Kumar being Indian

Racial assumptions/stereotypes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LC5qv1dmzk&feature=related

 

Reflection:

            I was very surprised at the vast amount of racial and gender stereotypes that I found every day, all around me. It was almost harder to choose which examples to use, than to find any. But I hadn’t really started to take notice to all of these stereotypes and assumptions until this class opened my eyes and asked me to look around and evaluate the media. It is sad but these stereotypes have become so much of our society and culture. Especially in advertisements, movies, and pop culture- like MTV- these stereotypes are most prevalent. 

            I have not personally experienced many stereotypes lately, but I have witnessed plenty. It shocks me and makes me sad because our society should be past that.  I don’t see it as much with my generation, but I find it more with the older generations. My parents and grandparents grew up in small towns, where racism was still strongly prevalent. And in their world, the women stayed home, had dinner on the table, and raised the children while the men went off to work. But today it is good to see how progressed our culture is. Most women I know would feel disrespected if their husbands or boyfriends demanded they cooked and raised the children. I know I would. Our schools are integrated, “separate but equal” is a phrase looked down upon, and at least in my daily life, racial slurs are hardly prevalent.

            One of the tragic things about these stereotypes represented in the media is that they create a spiraling effect, enforcing and feeding them to the American public. The media has so much power because we are all surrounded by it all the time. The public looks to the media for instruction on how to act, dress, eat, groom, and so much more. When the media feeds us these stereotypes, we begin to think that they are the norm, and that the stereotypes represent the whole. Often, these stereotypes have gotten it all wrong. If only the media would use its power for “good” instead of “evil”, then maybe our society could take a more progressive step forward, and rid our country, and our world, of these judgmental and hurtful assumptions and stereotypes. 


Links: I highly recommend visiting the links that I posted, which each go along with their prospective stereotype example. They are both a good example of how crude and easy to find these stereotypes can be. 

2 comments:

  1. I would have to say that I agree with all of the stereotypes you mentioned in your blog. Particularly the one where you mentioned the television show "The Girls Next Door." The entire Playboy empire is full of the "dumb blonde" stereotypes because it feeds into the idea that sex sells, and it does! Everyone falls prey to the advertisements we see in print and on the television because it is human nature that we do so. Although at the same time, that does not necessarily mean that we think someone is beautiful is they are not. Stereotypes have more influence on individuals than we think in my opinion. Yet, that does not make me think poorly of myself or feel that I need to change as a person.

    ReplyDelete